Last Wednesday, 8 March 2023, at the historic Unión Española de Catadores , Heva – “Heroes of Europe: Volcanic Agriculture” appeared to an audience of food & wine professionals, journalists and influencers.
The Masterclass – conducted by Pedro Ballesteros, Spanish Master of Wine – was dedicated to the Sueños de volcán, the “dreams of the volcano”: it was the second edtion of the format, held last year in September. Sueños de volcán showcased PDO wines and food products originating from volcanic terroirs and protected by the associations participating in the Heva project: the Consorzio Tutela Vini Soave e Recioto di Soave, Consorzio di Tutela Vini Lessini Durello, Union of Santorini Cooperatives – Santo Wines and Consorzio per la tutela del formaggio Monte Veronese DOP.
«Soils created following the eruption of volcanoes have a common feature – Ballesteros explained – they all come from within the Earth, melded together to bring something else to life. Wine lovers always try to capture the territory and history contained in a glass of wine: is there anything more exciting than a terroir that originated from the very center of our planet?».
The Masterclass included the tasting of the following wines, paired with three types of Monte Veronese DOP cheese (“Latte intero”, “d’allevo” and “di malga”):
- COFFELE: Soave DOC Classico 2021 Alzari
- FRANCHETTO: Soave DOC La Capelina 2021
- I STEFANINI: Soave Superiore Classico Monte di Fice 2020
- GIANNITESSARI: Soave DOC Classico Perinato 2020
- CORTE MOSCHINA: Lessini Durello DOC Metodo Classico 2016
- FATTORI: Lessini Durello Pas Dosè 2014
- MALTRAVERSI: Lessini Durello Conte Uberto 2020
- MARCAZZAN: Lessini Durello DOC Metodo Classico 2017
- SANTOWINES: Santorini Assyrtiko 2021
- SIGALAS: Santorini Assyrtiko 2022
- GAIA WINES: Santorini Assyrtiko 2021 Thalassitis
- ESTATE ARGYROS: Assyrtiko Santorini 2021
Sueños de volcán is part of a series of events organized by Heva and dedicated to industry professionals to promote and enhance the distinctive features of products originating from volcanic terroirs and marked with designated EU protection labels.
Heva’s upcoming Masterclasses are scheduled in Sweden and in the Netherlands